Click for your 30-Day Trial

Thursday, February 21, 2008

It's Time for Johnny and Lulu to Have Their Ten Minutes of Fame

I must confess. I’m a General Hospital fan. Yes, it is true. I will stop what I’m doing (translation—writing) and shut everything down just to watch an episode of General Hospital. If I’m out of town and can get to a television, I will typically stop what I’m doing just to watch this daytime drama unfold. However, there’s a pending problem. I am beginning to lose interest. Yes, it’s true.

Since I write romance, I’m a sucker for a soap opera “super-couple” and their power romance. You know the type. The good ole days produced a lot of them. Days of Our Lives had Bo and Hope. Patch and Kayla. Roman and Marlena. John and Marlena.

Overall, there were too many to count. Then, Days began to taper off. The super-couples in the making never fully developed (Carrie and Mike, Shawn and Belle) to their full potential and I for one, moved on my merry way. That left me with General Hospital. My one true soap opera love.


General Hospital writers proved they could lure in fans with super-couples like Luke and Laura. Sonny and Brenda. Carly and Sonny. Jax and Brenda. Now, they have the opportunity to bring in a super-couple like Johnny and Lulu and what do they do? They dedicate maybe sixty seconds to the couple a few times each episode. If we’re lucky, they’ll get about three minutes total.

The romance of Johnny and Lulu is a wonderful storyline in the making. However, it is so rushed that viewers could truly blink and miss their appearance. Just blink. Go on, try it. You’ll see.

I’m frustrated.


So, I’m calling out to you. I want to know what you think. I think the writers of soaps have a right-now factor going on. If the writers take the time to think about the couple in the moment that they are writing the script, then the couple has air time. If not, they move on. I mean come on. General Hospital has used up months of great opportunities to have a true super-couple come to life and yet viewers are forced to suffer through Rick and his new love interest.


Speaking of Rick and his new flame, to add insult to injury, the original actress has already been replaced. This hot (not) budding romance is taking up Johnny and Lulu air time? I must take time out and have a slap-on-the-head moment here and ask…why?


Yes, I am a die-hard General Hospital fan. Still, there have been so many super-couples in the making that never materialized simply because the writers didn’t take the time to develop the romance and the characters. So I’m sending out a shout-out to GH, please take the time to see this one through. Johnny and Lulu are white hot together. Now, you just have to make your viewers believer in their love story. This one started off right, let’s just hope it continues!


Now it’s your turn, tell me what you think about soaps now versus those you watched years ago and let me know what you think about Johnny and Lulu if you watch General Hospital! I gave you my opinion, now I’d love to hear yours!



Destiny

No comments:

Welcome to Destiny Blaine's Online Journal

Welcome to Destiny Blaine's Online Journal
"An Award Winning Bestselling International E-book and Paperback Author, Destiny Blaine and her pseudonyms top the charts at Amazon, Bookstrand, Barnes and Noble, ARE, Mobipocket, and other retailers online and off. Scroll down for a list of available titles, works in progress, and coming soon dates for debut titles.”

Author Bio

An award-winning, international bestselling erotic romance author, Destiny Blaine writes under several pen names. She lives in East Tennessee and spends a lot of time in Connecticut and Virginia, where her granddoll resides.